Another followup.  If we try to access the root context of the server, which is
not available, the same thing happens.  I get back a 500 error immediately, but
then the page doesn't finish "loading" (i.e. get all the response back from the
server) for another 20 seconds or so.

This seems like a connection problem rather than a memory problem.  Thoughts?

-- Dave