I prefer a different setup.

We separate the tomcat installation from the site.

With this approach the conf files are placed outside of
the tomcat directory tree. As long as the config files
are compatible, an upgrade is just a matter of setting a
different CATALINA_HOME.

Althoug we didn't use tomcat 5 by now the following
should be appliable:

(An updated version of a post from yesterday)

We install different versions of jdk/tomcat like this:

/usr/local/java/jdk/ibm1.3
/usr/local/java/jdk/sun1.3
/usr/local/java/jdk/sun1.3.1
/usr/local/java/jdk/sun1.4

/usr/local/java/tomcat-4.0.3
/usr/local/java/tomcat-4.1.10

For each site we have something like this:

/www/online/<site>
    the base directory for a tomcat instance (In our case typically a
    site, as we don't use vhosts withe different webapps)

/www/online/<site>/log
    directory for the log file

/www/online/<site>/conf
    web.xml
    server.xml
      and other files that contain the site/instance specific setup
      for tomcat (tailored versions of the files that are provided by
      tomcat)
      make shure that all combinations of IP and port are unique for
      each instance of tomcat.

/www/online/<site>/work
    Directory where tomcat stores the generated files and classes

/www/online/<site>/webapps
     Directories for the contexts

/www/online/<site>/bin
    start.sh
      Script that calls the tomcat version that we want to use for
      this site/instance with the environment for this site/instance:

      JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/java/jdk/sun1.3.1
      CATALINA_HOME=/usr/local/java/tomcat-4.0.3
      CATALINA_BASE=/www/online/<site>

      export JAVA_HOME CATALINA_HOME CATALINA_BASE
      ${CATALINA_HOME}/bin/startup.sh

/www/online/<site>/???
     Depending on the tomcat version there may be further directories
     that are needed on this level

This way we can have different versions of tomcat at the same time,
all sites that use the same tomcat version use the same 'executable'
but different processes and individual configuration. If we want to
use another version of tomcat we just have to change CATALINA_HOME
in start.sh (unless the config files are incompatible between these
versions)