that error_log message typically comes up if workers2.properties is not found or loaded
put the following in global httpd.conf (not into a (SSL) VirtualHost):
JkSet config.file /path/to/workers2.properties

Also check that Apache hast permissions to read it,
and that you don't have and IfModule directives before which don't work properly.