For the sake of argument, I moved all the classes from /native into
/WEB-INF/classes and I moved all the classes from /foreign into
/WEB-INF/lib.  Also, for the sake of being extra careful, I packaged up
everthing in /WEB-INF/lib into classes.jar (so there's two copies
there, the raw directory tree and the JAR file).

Then I restarted Tomcat and loaded the servlet.  The servlet itself
(from the /classes tree) attempted to load, but it broke because one of
its dependencies (from the /lib tree) was missing.

According to the "Application Developer's Guide" to which you referred
me...

"When you install an application into Tomcat (or any other
2.2/2.3-compatible server), the classes in the WEB-INF/classes/
directory, as well as all classes in JAR files found in the
WEB-INF/lib/ directory, are made visible to other classes within your
particular web application. ... no adjustment to the system class path
(or installation of global library files in your server) will be
necessary."

So I expected the contents of /WEB-INF/lib, either the raw files or the
packaged JAR, to be automatically loaded.  Was I mistaken?  Thanks.