At 09:24 AM 7/18/2003, you wrote:
Hi,

I've set my Tomcat 4.1.24 installation to production mode, i.e. I've set 'development' to false, 'reloading' to true and 'fork' to true in CATALINA_HOME/conf/web.xml.

If you're in production, reloading should be false (you don't want to poll for changed resources).

I have some JSPs that are modified from time to time. My questions are:

... all answered many times.

STFA for "precompile" or derivatives:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user

RTFM under "Web Application Compilation"
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jasper-howto.html

If you still can't find the answers, post again and we'll clarify.

justin

1a. Why is the package name for java files generated from a JSP compilation different when using JSPC and when you let Jasper compile the JSP when you access it (especially for JSP in directories in a context)?

1b. Can you use JSPC to precompile JSPs into the work directory without having to wait till they are accessed or using something like UNIX's wget to 'touch' the file and force a compilation?

2. How exactly does Jasper precompile JSPs into the work directory? Can one write an Ant build file to precompile JSPs in a context to the work dir the same way Jasper does?

3. If you've precompiled your JSPs and mapped them in web.xml would Jasper precompile them and reload them if they are subsequently modified?

4. What are the advantages of mapping JSPs in web.xml as opposed to having Jasper compile them in the work directory?

Zach.

Justin Ruthenbeck
Software Engineer, NextEngine Inc.
justinr - AT - nextengine DOT com