Hello Gabriel!

LG> So I'm going to take that as a no. No one has bothered to pester sun
LG> about this.

LG> So I realize that its possible that you could only drop privs down to a
LG> single user in the vm, but gee wouldn't that be hugely better then what
LG> we have today, where if I want to run <1024 I have to run as superuser?

LG> Surely you can see the benefit.

1)
Looks there might be some sense in such an api.

2)
On the other hand we go somewhat OS specific
here - only *nix-es, don't we?

3)
In fact we do not strictly have to ask Sun for this,
we can do it with JNI.

Would be interested to see how
jakarta-commons-sandbox/daemon do it.

4)
I would vote for such feature request at Sun.
Go ahead add it!

-Anton