To: "Tomcat Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 9:21 AM
Subject: Re: Weird Problems installing servlets in Tomcat

Where is commons-fileupload-1.0.jar located?  Is it in the correct
location for the ClassLoader to find it?

John

Rhino wrote:

Tomcat has suddenly started behaving rather strangely on our Linux
server. I was hoping someone here could give me some insight into the
reasons and some suggestions for resolving the problem. We are running
Tomcat 4.1.24 on a Linux Mandrake 9.1 box.

I wrote a servlet on the weekend which worked on my Windows XP machine
but misbehaved slightly on the Linux server when installed there.
Yesterday, I figured out what the problem was and revised the servlet.
The revised version worked in Windows so I tried to install it in Linux.
That's when the weirdness started: I can't install the WAR file in
Tomcat. It always fails on the same error:

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUpload.setSizeMax(I)V
I checked the Javadocs and found that the setSizeMax() method is part of
the class FileUploadBase, not FileUpload, so I immediately suspected
that the Linux box had an older version of the commons fileupload jar,
which only went to version 1.0 at the end of June. I searched the Linux
box and found commons-fileupload.jar, which is NOT the current version,
and also found commons-fileupload-1.0.jar which IS the current version.
I deleted the old one and now the only version of the jar on the server
is commons-fileupload-1.0.jar.

I tried installing the WAR file again but get the same error. I even
tried installing a newer version of a different WAR file that doesn't do
file uploads and IT failed on the same error. What is going on here?

I took a peek inside the commons-fileupload-1.0.jar and got this, which
looks just fine to me:
jar tvf commons-fileupload-1.0.jar | more
    0 Wed Jun 25 23:12:04 EDT 2003 META-INF/
  420 Wed Jun 25 23:12:04 EDT 2003 META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
    0 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003 org/
    0 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003 org/apache/
    0 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003 org/apache/commons/
    0 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003 org/apache/commons/fileupload/
 6020 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003
org/apache/commons/fileupload/DefaultFileItem.class
 1541 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003
org/apache/commons/fileupload/DefaultFileItemFactory.class
 1547 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003
org/apache/commons/fileupload/DeferredFileOutputStream.class
 2159 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003
org/apache/commons/fileupload/DiskFileUpload.class
  792 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003
org/apache/commons/fileupload/FileItem.class
  262 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003
org/apache/commons/fileupload/FileItemFactory.class
  811 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003
org/apache/commons/fileupload/FileUpload.class
  672 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003

org/apache/commons/fileupload/FileUploadBase$InvalidContentTypeException.cla ss

669 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003

org/apache/commons/fileupload/FileUploadBase$SizeLimitExceededException.clas s

  651 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003
org/apache/commons/fileupload/FileUploadBase$UnknownSizeException.class
 7449 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003
org/apache/commons/fileupload/FileUploadBase.class
  486 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003
org/apache/commons/fileupload/FileUploadException.class
  894 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003

org/apache/commons/fileupload/MultipartStream$IllegalBoundaryException.class

894 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003

org/apache/commons/fileupload/MultipartStream$MalformedStreamException.class

 6245 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003
org/apache/commons/fileupload/MultipartStream.class
 1789 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003
org/apache/commons/fileupload/ThresholdingOutputStream.class
 2873 Mon Feb 10 22:05:50 EST 2003 META-INF/LICENSE.txt
  121 Wed Jun 25 23:12:04 EDT 2003 META-INF/INDEX.LIST
I can't think of anything else to try at this point.

Any ideas anyone?

Rhino
---
rhino1 AT sympatico DOT ca
"If you want the best seat in the house, you'll have to move the cat."