From: "Bill Saez" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Tim,

Tim or Juan?  :oP

> #My production site
> <VirtualHost mydomain.com>
>     ServerAdmin [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>     DocumentRoot "/usr/local/apache2/htdocs"
>     ServerName mydomain.com:80
>     ErrorLog logs/error_log
>     CustomLog logs/access_log common
> </VirtualHost>
>
> #My dev site
> <VirtualHost localhost>
>     ServerAdmin [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>     DocumentRoot "/usr/local/apache2/htdocs"
>     ServerName localhost:80
>     ErrorLog logs/error_log
>     CustomLog logs/access_log common
> </VirtualHost>

you have the same DocumentRoot in both.. is this ok, or you just copied it
wrong?

> This worked.

ok

>However when I pulled in the contents of mod_jk.conf it
> killed my document root.

mmhhh... are you including the contents before your VirtualHosts
definitions?
probably there's something conflicting between both of them, check out
you're not redefining anyhting..

>I ended up trying to pull the contents of some
> of the virtual host listings from mod_jk.conf directly and put it into
> the virtual host tags in httpd.conf.  So far this seems like it will
> work- I can preserve my document root and still serve up jsp and
> servlets.

that's ok then
that's how I ended doing it, if you check my httpd.conf file in my HOWTO
and if you check the resources links, there's a link to a mail by John
Turner where he showed his conf, and he did it that way too

> Is this the "right" way to do this?

in this scenario I don't think there's one right or wrong way
the right one for you, should be the one it works for you, and that it's
easier for you
I put everything in my httpd.conf file because I see it more tidy, and it
lets me see things clear all in one file, without having to edit another
file, I don't see much sense in having another file... maybe another person
sees that way more tidy since it includes Tomcat related things or
VirtualHost in another file.. use what you liie more, and works for you  :)

>  It does work, but forces me to go in by hand and change multiple virtual
host entries if
> I need to change any structure here.

mmhh, I don't get your point here, can you clarify?

regards,

Juan