Howdy,
Actually, caching of servlet/JSP output is not a rare request, and is
sometimes valid.  Especially if there is a common set of request
parameters ("ViewPage?pageId=..." where the pageId has three values that
are very common).

It would be fairly trivial to write a URL-based caching filter.  One
does not come with tomcat, but it's less than a 20 minutes effort to
write I think.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics