You might want to look at how many processes/threads are listed for tomcat
and your database.

You might see that one of them or both is creating and keeping too many
threads around. At least that would be a start.

For tomcat, I have a daemon script that has a status command that tells
you all the pid's of processes for tomcat. You can get it off my web page:

http://daydream.stanford.edu/tomcat/install_web_services.html

You can just use the command I use for that which is on the web page also.

You should do something similar for Oracle to see how many processes are
in the process table.

You could try and restarting the database, which would clear out
connections that aren't timing out, and see if tomcat starts responding
again.

You say it's crashing, but is it really? It clearly has problems
restarting and is not responding. But that may not be the same as
crashing. Are there processes showing tomcat is still up?

Oscar