Tom's list:

I've got a horrible feeling that this might be too grotesque an error to
recover from:

My 20G hard drive is, or was, dual partitioned 11G : 9G as

        hda1    Windows98       FAT-32
        hda2    ex2fs           hda5    Linux
                                hda6    Linux swap
                                hda7    Linux

and booted using LILO. Windows doesn't see hda2 and there have been no
problems with scandisk (say, or anything else) which just sees a 11G
C: drive. But

                =========================================
                This morning I used Norton Speedisk on C:
                =========================================

Now on selecting Linux from the undestroyed LILO menu at boot, after the
usual stream of info, now including the line

        Partition check:
                hda:    hda1  hda2  <  >

where previously there was

                hda:    hda1  hda2  <hda5 hda6 hda7>,

I get the message

        VFS: cannot open root device 03:05
        Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:05

Using fdisk 'p' after booting with the rescue floppy gives

        /dev/hda1       Win95 FAT32
        /dev/hda2       Extended

where previously there was a happy reference to all of hda2, hda5, hda6,
hda7.

Anything to be done?

Thank you.

Fergus

Reply via email to