> Ok, I have hacked a problem in how pcmcia does tulip differently than most
> other clients, try it now.  I have not tested it but I did upload it. -Tom

Okay, more detective work.

Thanks for the updated module.  tulip_cb.o still fails to load.
The insmod error message says:
> register_driver undefined
> unregister_driver undefined
> Loading failed! The modules symbols (from linux-102.0.39) don't match your 
>linux-102.0.39

HOWEVER, consulting the full /etc/pcmcia/config file, I find that
manfid: 0x0149, 0xc1ab is an NE2000 clone, not a Tulip!
(All this despite the fact that the card clearly has "EtherFast 10/100
PC Card Model No: PCMPC100" written on it and all the other EtherFast
cards are tulips.)

I should have noticed the lack of a CardBus grounding connector on
the card.  Arrgh.  Anyway, the problem isn't solved, but it isn't
my problem, either.  (And it's a problem that you should be able to
replicate - it doesn't require a tulip card in the first place.)

Dropping the appropriate section into pcmcia/config and getting
pcnet_cs loaded seems to work much better... but packets still
don't go out!

(I have a PCMCIA-capable desktop machine running 2.4 that the card
comes up and works on.)

ifconfig says the interface is "Link encap: 10 Mbps Ethernet", even though
the 100M lights are on both on the card's dongle and the ethernet switch.

There's a startup error from ifport, so I did a bit of hackery to the
/etc/pcmcia/network script and disabled the ifport command, and things
seem to work now!  (Even though it still says 10baseT, I'm getting 1.65
MByte/sec = 13.2 MBit/sec sustained TCP throughput. which seems to rule
that out.)


Thank you again for your great work!  So far I've only found one thing
really missing (tcpdump, hardly small!), although I had to learn to look
in /proc for info I'm used to getting out of "arp" or "lsmod".
A really impressive and valuable piece of work!

Reply via email to