Well, the good news is, lua looks better and better the more I look at it.
Lua with luasocket, lualibs, luamd5, etc. can probably replace netcat and 
a few other things, maybe even snarf with upload, and will undoubtedly be
better in general.  I'm working on butchering the reference manual down to
size.  I'm writing a getopts, and converting the awks in buildit.s to lua
was easy.

The bad news is, rewriting 'cut' and 'grep' and 'split' and 'wc' and 'tee'
and 'head' and 'dirname' and 'undeb--' and 'unrpm--' from awk to lua is
going to be a fair amount of work.  In addition, there is figuring out
what it will take to replace snarf and nc and maybe some others...

I'm open to anyone who has some free time and would find rewriting
shellutils and textutils in lua interesting... buildit.s requires that
at least 'cut' and 'wc' work.  I might just make minimally functional ones
just for buildit.s and put it together without the ones that aren't
written, to get a proof of concept going, and probably at first I won't
have the extra libraries like the socket stuff.  I have the basic Lua with
basic, math, io, and string libraries down to 72K, 15K less than mawk.

If you want to work on any of the utilities, let me know and I'll send a
copy of getopts in whatever stage I have it in by then...

Again, go to www.lua.org to see it.

-Tom

Reply via email to