Gordon Ross wrote:
I have an error name lookup table I'd like to generate
from the header file that defines those errors.
Right now, we have generated code checked in under
  $SRC/common/smbsrv/smb_status_xlat.c
As usual for SRC/common, that file is compiled for
both kernel and user-level code.

If I were to make this generated code, where would be
the appropriate place(s) in the Makefiles to add the
rules to generate the *.c file?   Suggestions?

I think you'll want to add rules to generate the C source in the same places you compile it today (i.e. in the uts and userland makefiles).

It might seem more efficient to generate the C source once in $SRC/common, but that would introduce a race in the build process. To fix it, you'd have to impose a dependency between the Makefile that generates the C source (which might be one of the consumers) and any remaining consumers.

        Scott

--
Scott Rotondo
Senior Principal Engineer, Solaris Engineering