Ian Collins wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there a preferred way to keep Studio compilers up to date on an
> OpenSolaris system?
>
> The version in the repository hadn't been updated in a long time.  I
> currently keep a last SXCE system around as a host for Studio so I can
> apply patches.

Well there is a very recent Solaris Studio Express release from June
of this year.  That would be a good one to use if you want all
the latest bug fixes.  It's available as a plain tarball, so you can
untar it on OpenSolaris.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solarisstudio/downloads/index-jsp-136197.html

In terms of patches, there's no good answer.

There are several business issues that come into play here.

There is ongoing discussion about which patches should be free
and which patches should only be available via support contract.
The business context for Solaris (an operating system) are very
different than the one for Solaris Studio (developer tools), but
we use the same distribution system and process for the patches.

Because Solaris Studio is an "unbundled" tool, it doesn't participate
in the core release processes that the rest of Solaris does.  This
means that releasing Solaris Studio through the OpenSolaris repo
requires special manual release engineering steps.

None of these are blockers, they are just issues that the Solaris
Studio team has to work through before we can give people a clear
and predictable release strategy on OpenSolaris/Solaris 11.

I hope that we will be able to offer more frequent "patch update"
releases in the future, I know that would be useful for our users.

As a side-note, I wrote a python script a while back that can install SYSV
patches on top of a tarball.  It's probably out of date, but
if you're technically inclined, you might be interested in seeing
if you can get it to work for you.

http://quenelle.org/unix/2009/solaris-patches-on-tarballs/