On 09/16/10 21:46, James Carlson wrote:
Mark J. Nelson wrote:
  * new nightly, old source: You should make this work if it's reasonable
to do so.  Otherwise, you will need to send a flag day note, preferably
with an example of the failure mode.

I don't think that matches up with historical behavior here.  Any time
I've made changes in 'nightly', the answer has always been: new nightly
must always work with old source, period.  Not "send a flag day note,"
but must be made to work.

(And, really, I think there should be no reason that this cannot be
done.  Even if you completely restructure the world with your changes,
you can use an existence test on some key $SRC/blah file to detect
whether you're in the new or old environment, and do the right thing.)

Nonetheless I'd claim that jumping through hoops to make nightly be
able to build old generations of source is a poor use of resource.
We have a perfectly acceptable alternative of using nightly (and other
onbld tools) from your old ON workspace itself; if it's not an ON
workspace then you can still build an old set of tools from ON, which
is a lot less convenient I'd agree).

Gavin