The best forum for questions like this is mozilla.tools.l10n, looping that in.

We'd recommend going with the web version of l20n.js right now.

Pontoon already speaks that, probably good enough. The rest of our toolchain will follow as we're landing l20n in Firefox and Firefox for Android.

I'd be looking at stas and gandalf for a concrete version of l20n.js to use right now.

Look at https://github.com/mozilla/activity-stream/pull/429/files for inspiration on how that might look on the code side.

This suggestion is not on the level of a webextension API, but it's getting you on the path that the rest of l10n is honing in on.

Axel