On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 10:13 AM, Daniel Kinzler <dan...@brightbyte.de> wrote:
> Magnus Manske schrieb:
>> I agree about Semantic MediaWiki, which is a different beast (and
>> might one day be used on Wikipedia).
>
> That's really the question. Should we work *now* on making it usable for
> wikipedia, or should we focus on something simpler?

IMHO we should try to harvest the data that is already in Wikipedia
first. Semantic Wikipedia, technical issues aside, relies heavily on
users learning a new syntax, which is a community (read: political;-)
decision. And it will be fought about much harder and longer than the
license question...

>> The question seems to be scalability.Extrapolating from my sample data
>> set, just the key/value pairs of templates directly included in
>> articles would come to over 200 million rows for en.wikipedia at the
>> moment. A MediaWiki-internal solution would want to store templates
>> included in templates as well, which can be a lot for complicated
>> meta-templates. I think a billion rows for the current English
>> Wikipedia is not too far-fetched in that model. The table would be
>> both constantly updated (potentially hundeds of writes for a single
>> article update) and heavily searched (with LIKE "%stuff%", no less).
>>
>> Would the RDF extension be up to that?
>
> It would in a way: it just wouldn't store all parameters. It would store only
> things explicitly defined to be RDF values. That would greatly reduce the
> number
> of parameters to store, since all the templates used maintenance, formatting,
> styling and navigation can be omitted. It would be used nearly exclusively for
> infobox-type templates, image meta-info, and cross-links like the PND
> template.
> Or at least, that'S the idea. It also does away with problems caused by the
> various names a parameters with the same meaning may have in different
> templates
> (and different wikis).

Nice! I was thinking along the lines of a template
whitelist/blacklist, but yours would be much more efficient. And it
would hide most of the technical "ugliness" in the templates.