"Federico Leva (Nemo)" <nemow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Would .htaccess work also for expired accounts then, and
> could operators/roots do something about them? We still have
> tons of users entering, say, interiot and soxred's tools and
> getting slightly unhelpful results.

The "User account expired" messages are generated by
https://svn.toolserver.org/svnroot/puppet/trunk/puppet/modules/webserver/files/do_expired.sh
which replaces the bottom of /etc/htaccess.  It's certainly
possible to exempt some user accounts and add special redi-
rects for them.  The bigger problem for a move of abandoned
tools to /anywhere/ is however, as Magnus said, if the
source code is properly licensed.  soxred93 for example has
set a default license of MIT (but
http://toolserver.org/~soxred93/ looks pretty empty), while
interiot has no default license, but
/home/interiot/public_html/cgi-bin/Tool1/wannabe_kate de-
clares itself as "[[Public domain]]".  Just redirecting to a
working tool should pose no problems, though.

Tim