Hey all,

there we are on the day after account expiration. A few words on what
is going to happen to the code left on Toolserver.

First of all THANK YOU for migrating so many tools!!! It's awesome
that so many of you made this extra effort and I know that for many
this has been / still is very demanding and time-consuming!
I would also like to thank all those among you who worked on the
migration process itself, who gave me information, explanations and
ideas, who reminded me of stuff or just *did* useful stuff. This has
been very helpful for me as you know much more about the Toolserver
and its integration into the Wikiverse than I do.
Nosy, Mette and Coren still have a lot of work ahead, too, but thanks
a lot to you as well, for helping all the users during migration and
for having issues on the radar!
Finally, thank you again, DaB., for the years of commitment you put
into the Toolserver and its community. And thanks to River whom I
never met but who left structures other admins could deal with.

What's next?

To those who haven't migrated: Quite a lot of you can find your tools
on this list already:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Tool_Labs/Collection_of_issues_after_Toolserver_shutdown#This_is_the_tool_I_miss_most_.2F_Dieses_Tool_fehlt_mir_am_meisten

About migrating now:
You can still get your backups from ts-adm...@toolserver.org and
migrate. There are some volunteer helpers around on that page (lower
part) so if you need support, ask them. Once you've created a "tool"
in Tool Labs and uploaded your files, you can add other maintainers
with a click.

About other people's files:
Valhallasw, you asked if someone could get all the backups and archive
them. The problem are the private files in there (esp. in the home
directories). Nobody can sit down and sort the files of hundreds of
tools and decide which ones to give to others. This is why we hand
over backups to the owners only.
The contents of your public_html folders were accessible until
yesterday. If they are under a free license (and this has to be
checked in detail, too), we strongly recommend to contact the authors
about reusing the code because some might not be completely
comfortable with others looking at their code in detail.
I would like to encourage all of you to let other interested people
work on your code. It's a great opportunity to learn from how others
deal with it / from what they make out of it. So, if you are contacted
by others, it would be cool if you freed the knowledge!
If others turn to us / the ts-admins and request access to your
public_html folders and it's free software, we will contact you if
possible. If we don't hear from you then, we will hand it over,
assuming that this is why you put it under a free license.

About deletion of data:
Backups are kept until August 31st 2014!
Once Toolserver will be physically decommissioned in Haarlem, we'll
have to purge all hard disks. So please come and get your backups or
other people's code you want to work on *before August 31st*!

Cheers,
Silke

- --
Silke Meyer
Internes IT-Management und Projektmanagement Toolserver

Tel. (030) 219 158 260

http://wikimedia.de

unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das