I meant OFF and not ON for the internal preamp. I don't use internal preamp
ON.

The issue is most internal preamps are not designed for 160m, they need to
cover up to 50 MHz  Even the ICOM Norton preamp does not have the muscle to
handle the signals level on 160m. If you turn  <<  OFF >>  you internal
preamp and use a better preamp outside the radio with a good BPF or
pre-selector you will always  have the flexibility to adjust the system NF
reducing RF gain. But there is no way to improve NF, it is all about less
degradation of the signal to noise ratio.