Hi Bruce

"We know that limiting the noise pick up from more directions of an antenna we
can usually hear better"

Agree, actually the directivity of the receiving antenna is the only place you
can increase signal to noise ratio. More RDF means more directivity (3D)
resulting  better signal to noise ratio.

All electronic devices add noise at output. No amplifier is perfect. Passive
devices ahead of the preamplifier add noise impacting directly on the Noise
Figure of the system.   2 db cable loss, 1.5 db  filter insertion loss add up
to 3.5 db on the total Noise Figure.

Whatever you do adjusting the radio you are reducing degradation of the signal
noise from the signal coming from the antenna, including adjusting the
bandwidth of the receiver.

Reducing RF gain reduce the degradation and the signal to noise ratio at the
speaker is improved.

The issue with RDF or directivity is that we have many antennas on 160. The one
we know, our TX antenna, and sometimes six or twelve other antennas fort 160m
that we don’t know about it.

All these antennas interact with you receiving antenna and your ground at the
station near the receiver.

2 wave length on 160m is over 500ft. AM broadcast station detune cell phone
towers miles away for the same reason.

Just because you can’t measure the deterioration of the patter of you beverage
or any fixed receiving antenna, does not mean it is a working as it shows on
the paper. EZNEC can simulate the interaction, you just need to all "all your
160m antennas".

Antennas you don’t know you have for 160m.

1- That 120 ft of coax for your 6m Yagi
2- The triband feed line
3- Rotor cable 150ft with not a single ground, connected to your control box
and right into the ground of your station combining from the AC line
4- The wiring in you r house.
5 -\,,,
6 ... and on and on and on.
7- elevated radials, ...
8- low dipoles with no choke!!

Any 100Ft of wire is a very good vertical for 160m. If you live near a city the
level of energy captured by this "antenna" is huge, and what we do with that? ,
we connected it to our station ground with a #14 wire ... at the station.
Right next to the radio!!!

All these "antennas" as well the TX antenna must be detuned for 160, believe or
not, it is the true for any vertical receiving antenna.

For vertical receiving antennas the reduction in noise is 12 to 24 db, for
horizontal receiving antennas, it is 6 or 8 db.

Narrow filter, like the one I use ahead of my preamplifier, 0.2db insertion
loss and 40KHz BW does help to reduce reciprocal noise and unload the radio
from the energy from outside the band.

I visited several station during 2016, I found signals above +10 dBm coming
from the TX antenna, and leaking everywhere into the radio.  That's a lot of RF
energy.  10 mW.. of garbage..

Agree again with you about the narrow filter front end.

Happy Holidays!

73
JC
N4IS