Wes, Only a guess...... If the feed line going to the inverted Vee was
shorted at the shack end and the feedline was a halfwave long, that RF
short would appear at or near the top of inverted Vee.  Through mutual
coupling from the tower to the inverted Vee could provide some
additional top loading thus giving you different results.

Herb  KV4FZ