I continue to be mystified by the fact that the amateur radio
community insists on using PL259 connectors. N-type are much more
reliable (used by professional communicators), low cost, can be crimped
easily and quickly and have a well-defined impedance right up into GHz
frequencies.

Back in 2005 I started having contact problems with the
connector on my SteppIR 3-element. There was a thin layer of oxide that
built up around the centre pin of the PL259. I had had similar problems
with other connectors around my shack. I decided to change my entire
station, including the SteppIR, to N-type, and have never looked back.

73, Greg, ZL3IX

On 06.12.2018 13:29, Steve Ireland wrote:

G'day

> About five years I discovered this fool-proof and brilliant
way to solder PL-259s invented by Bill Maxon N4AR who taught this to Tim
K3LR. Tim uses this method throughout his contest station and did a
great job of documenting it - see http://www.k3lr.com/engineering/pl259/
[1] and it has totally changed my angry and worried attitude towards
soldering PL-259s.

> The key component is Amphenol 83-1SP connectors.
The connector body is silver and the shell is nickel and you can buy
them from Mouser or DX Engineering.

> Vy 73
>
> Steve, VK6VZ

---