---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Jim Brown <j...@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, Jan 21, 2019, 11:36 PM
Subject: Re: Topband: Inverted L improvements - Part 3 (now with data)
To: Mike Waters <mikew...@gmail.com>

After nearly a year of work, I published a new "cookbook" last month.
For reasons that are detailed in the accompanying text, I no longer
recommend coax wound through multiple cores.

The short answer for "why not?" is that it's simply not practical to wind
chokes that way and get anything close to the same result every time --
turns must go through the core in the same order, a scrambled turn cancels
a turn, turn diameter matters a lot, and so on.

The new cookbook uses RG400, 12-2 Teflon/silver pairs, or 12/2 THHN or NM
pairs, all tightly wound around a single core.  There are recommendations
for chokes in series to increase power handling. There is also data for the
new 4-in o.d. supersized toroids, which are great for 160M.
k9yc.com/2018Cookbook.pdf

73, Jim K9YC