W4EF said: Reading that QRZ.com thread you linked to and reflecting on K4SAV's measurements and how much they appeared to vary over a fairly short period of time, got me wondering about what could be responsible.

You are not the only one wondering about that Mike. Those are some pretty weird measurements. I have no explanation. That's the reason I continued to take measurements over a one month period and continued to get those big variations from one measurement to the next.

It's also the reason I am repeating the measurements again now, although I moved the dipole about 50 feet away from where it was before. The readings now seem to be much more reasonable and not so much variation between each measurement. I see the resonant point moving around with ground moisture content and the whole curve shifting as well but no big changes like the first time I did this. I may try to move the dipole back where it was before to see if any of the weirdness returns.

I still can't fit any of the measured curves to a NEC2 analysis by varying ground parameters and height above ground in NEC2. Note that attempting to do this also violates the NEC2 guidelines for wire heights above ground. So why should I expect to be able to do this? I have duplicated NEC4 patterns for a BOG in NEC2 to an insignificant difference. If NEC2 is wrong, so is NEC4. That doesn't leave any tools for simulating BOGs.

I have previously done other simulations for a BOG in NEC2 and the results never agree with measurements. I keep looking for model patches that may allow some useful information to be obtained from simulations.

Jerry, K4SAV