James;  There is a pretty good chance you have some kind of firewall
that is not allowing access to port 4567, the default port Allegro
uses.  This error message also occurs when there is a problem with the
Allegro app not running or for some reason not listening to the port
(see the Allegro error log for that).

-- Scott