I searched on "graph layout" and "graph direction" and found no hits
on this, so if it's been discussed before please forgive me.

I would like graphs laid out left-to-right -- flipped across the
vertical axis relative to the current layout. Having used many
ontology graphers, starting with the Grapher package on the Xerox
1108/9, and including the NIKL and ISI graphers, and having built a
few myself, all of the ones I've seen, used, or built have the root at
the left and subclasses extending to the right.

This may seem minor, but it's got a very Through-the-Looking-Glass
feeling to me, and is so counter-intuitive that I'm not sure I want to
try to adjust my thinking unless it's absolutely necessary.

Is there any way to reverse the direction of the layout? It should be
a matter of taking the max X coordinate for the current logical layout
and subtracting the X coordinate of each layout element from that --
at least that's the way the ISI grapher and the Interlisp-D grapher
handled it (although since the default was left-to-right, this was to
get a right-to-left layout).