The problem probably isn't in the closed world of Composer but in the more
complicated world of interacting with different data sources. I have seen
scenarios where Composer is having profound difficulty with unicode
characters, requiring the kind of transformations that Courtland describes.
These aren't fantasies. For example, what if you want to import the content
of a file from the web into labels, comments, or descriptions (or other
properties) in Composer. The content might very well be encoded as UTF-8 or
Unicode. Were it written in Composer it might be handled fine, but when
imported it might not. Same for export. What if you want to write an SWP
that constructs XML/HTML or even Latex. What you see in Composer might be
fine but the content produced might not. We live in a world that requires
interaction and integration with different data sources, and for Composer
to be truly useful (to truly shine) it must be able to accommodate these
interactions and integrations seamlessly. That is more or less how I
interpret Courtland's comment/lament.

Jack