> On 6 Mar 2019, at 12:32, 'Bohms, H.M. (Michel)' via TopBraid Suite Users
> <topbraid-users@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Hi David,
>
> Thx and fully agree the wkt-issue!
>
> In att. I actually propose to be more explicit as alternative like
> hasQuantity, hasUnit, hasQuantitativeValue etc. (sheet 24).
>
> The example in the end is currently not the OWL Full option but adding a
> pm:PropertyType with explicit link form pm:Property. See also resulting
> simple example in final sheet.
>
> If this (OPM L3) is 3.5D what would the 4D solution add as extra/benefit?

In 4D a thing of interest that has a state (i.e. the thing for a period of
time), and that state is what has properties. So if something has many
properties, it’s simpler to have a state of a thing with a start and end date,
for example, and then the “normal” properties are attached to the state. If you
have lots of properties that change over time, in 3.5D it’s more difficult to
find all the property values of the thing at any one time because you have to
search every property the thing ever had and exclude the ones not in the period
of time of interest. Note that in 4D the state has relationships like
connectedTo and participatesInActivity in addition to the measurement
properties like mass or length

Sometimes the use case can make a huge difference in the 3.5D vs 4D decision.
For example, if you’re doing measurements of the same property very often and
there aren’t many properties, then maybe 3.5D is more efficient. However, if
you get daily, weekly or monthly reports about a thing as input to a database
and that report contains a lot of property values, then maybe using 4D and
grouping all the normal properties together to be applicable to the thing for
that specific period of time is more efficient. I will note that using 4D well
can take a bit more thought and understanding than using 3D or 3.5D. That said,
there’s a also the argument made that 4D is closer to how space-time actually
works (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-dimensionalism
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-dimensionalism>) so is a better
representation of reality …. but that’s metaphysics :-)

Ontology approaches, like tools for inference, etc. have pros and cons. Best to
choose whatever makes the most sense wrt solving the problem at hand.

Note that I’m not recommending one over the other for your situation since I
don’t really know the details, just pointing out options.

Cheers,
David

> Thx Michel
>

> Dr. ir. H.M. (Michel) Böhms
> Senior Data Scientist
>
> T +31888663107
> M +31630381220
> E michel.bo...@tno.nl <mailto:michel.bo...@tno.nl>
> Location
> <https://www.google.com/maps/place/TNO+-+Locatie+Delft+-+Stieltjesweg/@52.000788,4.3745183,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x47c5b58c52869997:0x56681566be3b8c88!8m2!3d52.000788!4d4.376707>
>

> <image001.gif> <http://www.tno.nl/>
> This message may contain information that is not intended for you. If you are
> not the addressee or if this message was sent to you by mistake, you are
> requested to inform the sender and delete the message. TNO accepts no
> liability for the content of this e-mail, for the manner in which you use it
> and for damage of any kind resulting from the risks inherent to the
> electronic transmission of messages.

UK +44 (0) 7788 561308
US +1 (336) 283-0808‬