From: Irene Polikoff [ir...@topquadrant.com]
To: topbraid-users@googlegroups.com [topbraid-users@googlegroups.com]
Subject: Re: [topbraid-users] from property to constraint

If you are using hasValue restriction on a datatype property, then the value in
the restriction must be a literal. Nothing else would make sense - irrespective
of the species of OWL. If you want to use a resource in this restriction, then
it should be an object property. This would also be true if you were using one
of the built-in types as a value e.g., xsd:string in owl:hasValue
restrictionbecause this restriction says that the value of the property =
xsd:string, not that the type of the value is xsd:string.

If you were to use allValuesFrom, then would be saying that the type of values
must meet the constraint, so in this case, you can set the restriction to your
new datatype even if the restricted property was a datatype property.

I read your explanations and I continue to find the modeling approach you are
describing confusing and obscure.

You are not using the standard according to its entailed semantics or the
typical practices. The meaning of OWL statements are defined by the inferences
they produce. Anyone who would try to interpret your model using normal
expectation would come to the wrong assumptions about what it is trying to say
and how to use it. Whether in the end, what you produces passes the criteria of
being in DL or not, it is irrelevant. It would largely depend on the data. If
you use allValuesFrom, but never have any actual values for bs:quantityKind,
then there isn’t anything for the validation to be concerned about.

In the end, it is all RDF and one can say anything they want in RDF. You could
decide to treat OWL simply as a vocabulary that gives you some language
elements that you are using in a way you decide, not following any standard
semantics. However, my advise would be to not do this. If, for whatever reason,
the standard use does not work for you, I would advise to create your own
language and not use OWL namespace. You could define your own my:hasValue and
use it to mean anything you want. Then, everyone would be clear that they
should not assume OWL semantic, but need to read and follow the definitions you
supply for this property.

On Jul 10, 2019, at 11:36 AM, 'Bohms, H.M. (Michel)' via TopBraid Suite Users
<topbraid-users@googlegroups.com<mailto:topbraid-users@googlegroups.com>> wrote:

> please reconsider....
> it is exactly related with the issue I had earlier with the quotes when doing
> a hasValue constraint...I wanted without quotes (meta) but then I needed an
> allvaluesfrom constraint...)

topbraid-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com<mailto:topbraid-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/topbraid-users/2B0CD85D-19B6-476A-AB8C-E736060D5D92%40topquadrant.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/topbraid-users/2B0CD85D-19B6-476A-AB8C-E736060D5D92%40topquadrant.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
This message may contain information that is not intended for you. If you are
not the addressee or if this message was sent to you by mistake, you are
requested to inform the sender and delete the message. TNO accepts no liability
for the content of this e-mail, for the manner in which you use it and for
damage of any kind resulting from the risks inherent to the electronic
transmission of messages.