Ok - a few layers of challenges here - gradually unpicking it:

Query in both the UI and GraphiQL return data if not filter text is
specified.

The graphql schema shows properties that are queryable, but if i put any
sort of filter against these in Graphql or the UI Free text search returns
no results

A few UI glitches made this harder to track down,  The CSS for checkboxes
is broken in 6.3.2.

here are the things i'd suggest reviewing
1) The CSS for the checkbox on the "use local results" is
element.style {

}
wiring_rule….editor:156
input[type="checkbox"] {

   1. position: absolute;
   2. /* left: -9999px; */

}

i have switched it off as above and lo and behold the checkbox appears

2) hiding the indicator for whether local results are used under the gear
icon seems suboptimal.

3) Need to know how to set the value of this setting by default when
generating an Asset collection as a wrapper that includes the data of
interest

4) possibly want to have a special type of include that limits queries to
included data, not all included shapes

5) New button on instances only works with graphql:publicSchema defined

6) Graphql UI doesnt work (finds schema but get no results if data included
via an import) - after setting graphql:publicSchema

The functionality issues I need a solution for are #3 and #6