On 19/10/2018 16:05, Leif Ryge wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 07:27:32PM +0100, Michael Rogers wrote:
> [...]
>> If we decided not to use the key blinding trick, and just allowed both
>> parties to know the private key, do you see any attacks?
> [...]
>
> If I'm understanding your proposal correctly, I believe it would leave
> you vulnerable to a Key Compromise Impersonation (KCI) attack.
>
> Imagine the scenario where Alice and Bob exchange the information to
> establish their temporary rendezvous onion which they both know the
> private key to, and they agree that Bob will be the client and Alice
> will be the server.
>
> But, before Bob connects to it, the adversary somehow obtains a copy of
> everything Bob knows (but they don't have the ability to modify data or
> software on his computer - they just got a copy of his secrets somehow).
>
> Obviously the adversary could then impersonate Bob to Alice, because
> they know everything that Bob knows. But, perhaps less obviously, in the
> case that Bob is supposed to connect to Alice's temporary onion which
> Bob (and now the adversary) know the key to, the adversary can also
> now impersonate Alice to Bob (by overwriting Alice's descriptors and
> taking over her temporary onion service).
>
> In this scenario, if Bob hadn't known the private key for Alice's
> temporary onion that he is connecting to, impersonating Alice to Bob
> would not have been possible.
>
> And of course, if the adversary can successfully impersonate both
> parties to eachother at this phase, they can provide their own long-term
> keys to each of them, and establish a long-term bidirectional mitm -
> which, I think, would otherwise not be possible even in the event that
> one party's long-term key was compromised.
>
> Bob losing control of the key material before using it (without his
> computer being otherwise compromised) admittedly seems like an unlikely
> scenario, but you asked for "any attacks", so, I think KCI is one (if
> I'm understanding your proposal correctly).

Hi Leif,

Thanks for pointing this out - I'd heard about this kind of attack but
I'd forgotten to consider it.

We're planning to do a key exchange at the application layer after
making the hidden service connection, so I don't think the adversary's
ability to impersonate Alice's hidden service to Bob would necessarily
lead to application-layer impersonation on its own. But if you hadn't
raised this we might have designed the application-layer key exchange in
a way that was vulnerable to KCI as well, so thanks!

Cheers,
Michael