J, TNX for the recommendation. Just used a spare one. Temperature dropped to 41
C. Didn't like the noise, because it's running permanentely. However, you are
right :-)
-------- Ursprüngliche Nachricht --------
Von: Rana <[email protected]>
Datum: 15.12.16 09:34 (GMT+01:00)
An: [email protected]
Betreff: Re: [tor-relays] Tor relay from home - end of experiment?
Well I do suggest that you get a set of Pi heat sinks on ebay for $0.70
(including postage from China, adhesive and sinks for all 3 chips on the Pi).
And if you are as extravagant as I you will even shell out an additional $1.20
for a Pi case. Your 20 mbps relay has some value, you do not want to step on it
accidentally J From: tor-relays
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of balbea16
Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2016 10:24 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [tor-relays] Tor relay from home - end of experiment? You are
totally right. Besides the "cost" for the PI, I pay some additional Euros per
month for the 40 MBIT upload, that's it. I really can recomment to run a relay
on a Pi 3. Let's see how the Tor authorities handle this. By the way the CPU
temperature levels around 60 Celsius (without running arm). I don't cool it.
Mike Von meinem Samsung Gerät gesendet.
-------- Ursprüngliche Nachricht --------
Von: Rana <[email protected]>
Datum: 15.12.16 08:53 (GMT+01:00)
An: [email protected]
Betreff: Re: [tor-relays] Tor relay from home - end of experiment? OK then let
me summarize. 1. You are running a Pi from Cologne, at 21 mbps
(measured) peak, 900 kbps (measured) average utilization by Tor, with 1300
connections.2. Your Pi is under-utilized, probably limited by your ISP’s
peering with those to which DirAuths are connected. 20% CPU utilization, 50%
memory utilization. 3. Given that part of the memory is used by Linux
kernel, and that the PI Ethernet interface is nominally 100 mbps, the Pi is
probably able to sustain up to 3000 connections. Bottom line: the $35 Pi is a
killer and running a Tor node with up to 3000 connections on another computer
is probably a big waste of money. Comments welcome. From: tor-relays
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of balbea16
Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2016 9:04 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [tor-relays] Tor relay from home - end of experiment? Pls. refer
to may answers after each of your questions.
-------- Ursprüngliche Nachricht --------
Von: Rana <[email protected]>
Datum: 15.12.16 07:44 (GMT+01:00)
An: [email protected]
Betreff: Re: [tor-relays] Tor relay from home - end of experiment? >Hi
There>This is a pretty interesting topic. I have been running a Rasp Pi 3 based
relay since August this year. By now, I am up to about 1,300 incomming and
outgoing connections, and a max of >about 21mbps. This is about 50% of the max.
upload speed. Consensus weight is between 3,000 and 6,000. The CPU is running
at 20% max. However, my local ISP disconnects me after 24 >to 36 hours. From my
point of view this is the only disadvantage. > >For a home based relay, is that
good, bad, or just average? Is there a chance for me to get a stable, or even
guard flag? What are your experiances?>MikeMy experience is bad, the relay is
not taking off at all, I have consensus weight of 19 and am sending less than
20 MB every 6 hours despite having bandwidth measured by Tor of between 70 and
120 KB/s. The total up bandwidth I have in ISP connection is 1.5 mbps and this
is probably the issue. I also run this on Pi 3. I did, however, get a stable
flag after 5 days, and have had it since then. My IP is dynamic and did not
change in these 5 days or in the 4 days that passed since I got the Stable
flag. My relay nickname is ZG0.Based on your experience I think your are doing
fabulously well for a home relay, and that what really counts is the ISP
bandwidth, and the Stable flag does not have much to do with how much traffic
you get. Moreover, your 20% cpu util confirms my opinion that Pi is the
perfect, most cost efficient way to run a relay and that running it on a larger
computer is a waste of resources and money (up to the point Raspi chokes which
we are yet to discover J)Moreover, clearly Pi’s cpu power will never be the
bottleneck, only its memory size. You have a total of 1GB of memory on your Pi
3, what’s your memory utilization? about 513 MB What’s the total traffic the
Pi sends every 6 hours (reported in the Tor log file /var/log/tor/notices.log
and, for the previous time window, in /var/log/tor/notices.log.1)? About 19 GB
in the last 6 hour period, with a total sent 2671.53 GB and received 2625.31
GB. What’s your relay’s nickname? Balbea16
_______________________________________________
tor-relays mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.torproject.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tor-relays