I see this occasionally. It's not specific to 0.3.3.x. I reported it back in
October 2017:

https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2017-October/013328.html

Roger replied here:

https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2017-October/013334.html

MaxMemInQueues is set to 1.5 GB by default, which is why the problematic
circuit uses that much RAM before its killed. You can lower MaxMemInQueues in
torrc, however that will obviously have other impacts on your relay. If you
have plenty of RAM, I'd maybe just leave things alone for now since Tor is
already killing the circuit.

I agree in theory some mitigation against this would be nice, but I'm not smart
enough to offer anything specific. It seems Roger and other devs are already
thinking about the issue.