As some of you might have noticed the tor network recently
lost a noticeable number of relays and bridges as seen in the
metrics.tpo relay graphs (0.7% cw fraction).

https://metrics.torproject.org/networksize.html
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DwGAESoXgAEoB6L.jpg

this occurred when these relays upgraded from tor 0.3.3.10 to 0.3.4.9
(package maintainer update)

All these relays were behind NAT devices and they relied on a tor
feature that got removed between these two versions:

>   o Removed features:
>     - The PortForwarding and PortForwardingHelper features have been
>       removed. [...]https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/25409

The portforwarding worked only in about 5% of cases so only 350 of the over 6000
relays actually became reachable.

Since I still believe these relays are not run by humans I hope they remain
unreachable behind their NAT routers.

--
https://twitter.com/nusenu_
https://mastodon.social/@nusenu