Hello Alex

Thank you for your nice hint ot QAT_Engine.

Yes, in theory it really seems to be possible. Looking at the Github repo of
the QAT_Engine, it looks like there are still some issues with OpenSSL 3.0:
Support for QAT HW ECX, QAT SW ECX, QAT HW PRF and QAT HW HKDF is disabled when
built
against OpenSSL 3.0 due to known issues instead it uses non-accelerated
implementation
from OpenSSL.I'm on Ubuntu 20.04, so I should be still using OpenSSL 1.x. There
are plans for switching to OpenSSL 3.0 in Ubuntu 22.04. We'll see...

So, one really has to test and I need to think about it. Wouldn't be a cheep
test, but if this platform can give me a medium power system (~50W) and great
speed, then it's definitively what I'm looking for. Otherwise I would prefer a
Ryzen like the 5750GE.

Andreas

On Tuesday, April 12, 2022 03:42 CEST, Alex Xu <a...@alxu.ca> wrote:
 Excerpts from Andreas Bollhalder's message of April 10, 2022 3:32 pm:

> Hi all
>
> I have my first Tor relay up und running. It's currently installed on a
> little desktop computer with an Intel i5 9500T CPU. My Internet connection is
> 10Gb/s symetric. From this bandwidth, I would be able to spend a good part
> for supporting the Tor network.
>
> With that little machine, it seems that it would max out at somewhere at ~30
> MBytes/s. For my definitive Tor relay hardware, I'm currently researching
> some options, which would be capable of handling Tor traffic at the rate of
> 200 to 300MBytes. Even it would be used nowadays, but who knows whats coming
> in the future and I hope this relay would last 5 years ore so.
>
> It looks to me, that with a normal CPU, it's impossible to reach my goal. But
> then I encountered, that Intel has the Quick Assist Technoloy (QAT)
> integrated in some of their products (ie. Atom C3xx8). This QAT can be used
> with OpenSSL as a hardware accelerator for encryption. There also exist
> dedicated PCIe cards with QAT (ie. Netgate CPIC-8955).
>
> Searching the Internet, I couldn't find any information if QAT would be
> helpful with Tor. But Tor uses the OpenSSL library and this can use the QAT
> acceleration. Is there anyone who has tried this und can share his expirience?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Andreas

In theory, you should be able to enable QAT with "HardwareAccel 1" on
OpenSSL 1.x after installing https://github.com/intel/QAT_Engine. I'm
not sure about the process for OpenSSL 3.0; I believe it involves
editing OPENSSLDIR/openssl.cnf.