I run both a V2 and V3 service on my Linux server. I'm using the same Tor process with both. The torrc file is fairly standard, except I'm forcing some custom entry nodes, and I compile Tor from source on Debian Stretch.
The V2 service has worked flawlessly, more or less, for the last 5 years or so. It has about 98% uptime 365 days a year, according to my server stats. The server and Internet connection has always been fast and reliable. When I add a V3 address to my server, it works pretty much flawlessly as well, but *only* until I make the address public. Non-public V3 addresses have about 98-99% uptime per week/month. But after the address has been made public, and people have learned about it, its uptime is suddenly reduced to about 60%. It will be completely inaccessible for hours at a time. *While* on the same Tor process, the V2 address works without issues. By inaccessible I mean the same as having turned the service off. Later I create a new V3 address, which is non-public. Only I know about it. It has about 98% uptime and works fine. I leave it there for a while, and it still works fine. I then make it public on my website, and the next day it is inaccessible when trying it. Uptime drops from 98% to 60-70%, and from there on it becomes randomly inaccessible, 4-8 hours at a time. I tried for a third time, then fourth, and finally a fifth time, and the same pattern repeat itself, even with different and random timings. On the forth attempt I released the V3 address in public at the same moment it was created, and it never achieved anything above 60% uptime per week from the very beginning. I know the V3 system is new, and could have some undiscovered bugs, but my gut feeling tells me that someone, or something, is capable of censoring all my V3 addresses, while the old V2's are completely unaffected. I am BTW running a sixth V3 address that has never been published, which I opened when the V3 system was in the Alpha release of Tor, and it has been running smoothly ever since! Maybe I'm being paranoid, I just wanted to put this in the devs mail list, so at least they know about my problems. Maybe it's my setup, maybe it's my incompetence, maybe it's something important that needs to be looked into. Oh BTW, I've tried several different entry nodes too, running several different Tor versions. I tried to clear the /var/lib/tor/ folder, tried on a different computer running a different Linux version. Also tried a different ISP. Think I've tried about everything, I like to believe I have some competence. -Hikki- -- tor-talk mailing list - firstname.lastname@example.org To unsubscribe or change other settings go to https://lists.torproject.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tor-talk