On Saturday, February 17, 2018 at 9:45:24 AM UTC-5, TC Mauldin wrote:

> On Friday, February 16, 2018 at 5:15:00 PM UTC-5, Edward Prochak wrote:
>>
>> On Friday, February 16, 2018 at 12:15:02 PM UTC-5, TC Mauldin wrote:
>>>
>>> I am new to TortoiseSVN, I was following the setup in the test drive
>>> section of the help file and have a question.  The description says to
>>> import the file from a dir into the repository and then create another dir
>>> and check the file out from the repository trunk dir.  So now there are two
>>> dir, the one with the original file and one with the checked out files.
>>> You make the changes in checked out file which are not connected to the
>>> original dir.  After completing the work in the checked out dir how do the
>>> checked out files get transferd back to the dir with the original file. I
>>> can't find anything about this in the help file.  Any help will be greatly
>>> appreciated.
>>>

>> the example means to show that there is no connection to the original
>> file. What happens on you local
>> file system is independent of the archive. You can at this point, if you
>> want, delete the original file and
>> folder. A copy will still exist in that folder on the trunk in the
>> archive.
>>
>> The checked out folder is now your work area/sandbox. After making any
>> changes you check them back in.
>>
>> HTH,
>>   ed
>>

> Thanks for the quick response. Ok but not sure that solves my problem.
> The situation is this.  The original files are on a remote web server and
> these files can't be erased, and the only privilege I have are to copy
> paste and delete files.  I can't create any directories or a repository on
> the server.  I have to create the repository on my local computer and then
> import the files to my computer.  I then check out the files to a dir on my
> computer to work on them and commit back to the repository. So my problem
> once the testing is done is there anyway for TortoiseSVN to merge the
> completed files back to the server. Hope this makes my question a little
> clearer

I see, your problem is the deployment step (putting the files back out to
the web server).
I do not think subversion has any tool for that. Typically that is done
with other scripting tools
like PERL or PowerShell. It should not be hard to write a script to deploy
the files.
You really don't want to merge on the server. You replace.

Essentially that is really out of the scope for subversion. Try a script
or, if changes are
infrequent, just keep doing it manually.

Ed