It has happened to me several times in the past that a paypal payment
required an existing registration or insisted on creating a new account at
the same time as paying.

I tried the TSVN donation button and it is similar again: the page asks for
the credit card details but also for data for creating a new account:
email, password (twice) and the check for "by creating an account I agree
to terms and conditions...".

Maybe one can enter fake data, I did not go thru. But it certainly looks
like it requires an existing or a new account. It may not link the card to
the account, but is enough to "scare away" some people.

In other words: "normal" paymeent with a credit/debit card only requires
the card data, while PayPal requires a lot more.

Regards,
David