Thanks for a very detailed description.

Can you check if the answer in the following link solves your problem?

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3584643/svn-access-denied-when-comparing-revisions

I'm no expert in svnserve, but I'm assuming anon-access = read allows the
initial connection without authentication and when the code later on looks
at your repository it can't upgrade to an authenticated user.

Kind regards,
Daniel Sahlberg