Hi Folks, A team of folks, including Aria Chernik, of Duke University, Gina
Likins, of Red Hat, and myself (Heidi Ellis, Western New England University),
have begun the process of revitalizing the Teaching Open Source website and
community.    But wait, you're thinking...didn't you get an email just like
this last year? Yes, you did. But we mean it this time :-) As you may have
noticed, the Teaching Open Source web site is out of date and has collected a
fair bit of spam. As part of the TOS rejuvenation, the TOS web site is also
being redesigned to provide better support to those who are teaching open
source. The redesign will be founded on the existing core of computing
educators and FOSS community members. However, as computing now appears in
almost every discipline, the site will eventually be expanded to encompass a
wider breadth of content such as open access to research, open data,
makerspaces and open hardware, as well as more overarching discussions around
the pedagogy of open education.

The changes will build on our existing core of dedicated computing folks. Plans
include providing access to a wider range of teaching materials and including
support for helping instructors and FOSS communities find each other and work
together.  Expected roll-out is early 2017. In the spirit of being transparent,
we wanted to let you know that we're working on improving the state of the
community and also that we'll be requesting feedback and help in this effort.
We'll keep you posted as to changes in the coming weeks and months!   Heidi
Ellis, Gina Likins, Aria Chernik