Hello everyone, I tested the proposed package using the test case provided
Ubuntu Trusty amd64
upstart (12.1.1-0ubuntu4.2)
machine rebooted OK, without dropping to runlevel 1

I haven't tested the package in any other ways, so i'm not sure about
regression and 'll keep verification-needed tag

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to upstart in Ubuntu.

  'reboot now' reverting to maintenance mode, instead of rebooting

Status in Upstart:
  In Progress
Status in “upstart” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “upstart” source package in Trusty:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  [Impact]

   * reboot(8) command has behaviour different from the documented one,
  in particular when passing optional REBOOTCOMMAND argument, whilst not
  in runlevel 0 or 6 and without passing --force, shutdown(8) was not
  invoked with the appropriate arguments. Actual behaviour was dropping
  to runlevel 1, instead of the expected reboot.

  [Test Case]

   * Whilst booted normally to runlevel 2, after executing:

     $ sudo reboot please

   * machine should complete reboot.