This seems to be fixed after upgrading to Martin’s systemd 208 packages.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to systemd-shim in Ubuntu.

  Installation of cgmanager prevents booting with systemd

Status in “cgmanager” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “systemd-shim” package in Ubuntu:

  I have a completely upgraded Ubuntu Utopic development branch setup, with
proprietary nvidia drivers installed.
  I have set my booting system to boot with systemd instead of the upstart one.
  The newest systemd-shim (version 6-3ubuntu1) depends on cgmanager.
  However, installation of cgmanager (versions 0.26-0ubuntu5 or 0.27-0ubuntu7)
does not complete booting with systemd.
  Not even tty1 is created and thus gdm (which I use instead of lightdm) is not
started.
  I have the newest systemd installed (version 204-14ubuntu2).
  Booting with upstart on the other hand goes just fine.

  If I downgrade systemd to version 6-3 (and remove package cgmanager)
  all is well again and systemd booting is fine again.