it is an intentional change in the package build tools.

** Changed in: resolvconf (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to resolvconf in Ubuntu.

  resolvconf 1.69ubuntu1.1 includes non-Upstart /etc/init.d/resolvconf
  script

Status in “resolvconf” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  I noticed that when my Trusty systems upgrade from resolvconf
  1.69ubuntu1 to 1.69ubuntu1.1 (from trusty-updates),
  /etc/init.d/resolvconf is changed from a symlink pointing to
  /lib/init/upstart into a normal file containing the Debian sysinit
  startup script.

  Is that change intentional?  (It's not mentioned in the changelog
  entry.)

  Nathan