As requested in the upstream tracker, I've filed a bug in the upstream
tracker: http://bugs.python.org/issue5845

** Bug watch added: Python Roundup #5845
   http://bugs.python.org/issue5845

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to python3.4 in Ubuntu.

  Python interactive interpreter does not indent with tabs, tries to
  tab-complete

Status in “python3.4” package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix
Status in “python3.4” package in Debian:
  Unknown

Bug description:
  Using the python3 interactive interpreter, I can not use tabs to
  indent like I could on previous versions of Ubuntu (13.10 was what I
  was using before, now I'm using 14.04).

  When I try to indent on the python interpreter command line, it simply
  does nothing the first time I press the tab key. The second time I
  press it, it shows a bunch of autocomplete suggestions.

  For example
  >>> if (True):
  ... <tab>print("true!")
    File "<stdin>", line 2
      print("true!")
          ^
  IndentationError: expected an indented block

  Could this be related to http://bugs.python.org/issue18988? Is the fix
  for that included in the version of python on 14.04?

  I also found http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4809820/tab-key-not-
  indenting-in-python, in which one of the comments to an answer
  suggests trying <Ctrl-V><tab> when you want to insert a tab. That does
  work for me:

  >>> if (True):
  ... <Ctrl-V><tab>print("true")
  true

  Package: python3 3.4.0-0ubuntu2
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia zfs zunicode zavl zcommon znvpair
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity