as per Petter Reinholdtsen's suggestion (https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-
bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=756114#19), adding db_stop in postinst fixed this
problem.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to sysvinit in Ubuntu.

  invoke-rc.d gets stuck when trying to start gnukhata-core-engine
  during post install

Status in “sysvinit” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in “sysvinit” package in Debian:
  Unknown

Bug description:
  I'm packaging gnukhata (http://gnukhata.org) for debian and ubuntu but
  I cannot start the gnukhata-core-engine service during installation on
  ubuntu. It works fine on debian sid (using systemd). I tried both
  invoke-rc.d gnukhata-core-engine start as well as service gnukhata-
  core-engine start. It just go defunct after it actually starts the
  service. I have tested on Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04 releases.

  You can test it using the packages from
  http://people.debian.org/~praveen/gnukhata/README (currently postinst
  doesn not start the service, you can edit debian/gnukhata-core-
  engine.postinst to start the service and test)