Hi Alberto,

Thanks for compiling all this information. There's a couple of pieces
missing though.

This bug doesn't happen as far as I know with vanilla Gtk. It happens
when the Unity Gtk extensions (dbusmenu and overlay scrollbar) are
loaded. They are Gtk plugins and one or both of them open dbus
connections as soon as they are loaded. They are loaded at Gtk init and
that dbus connection becomes invalid after the fork, but Gtk tries to
reuse it anyway. That causes it to hang.

As a result of the above, this bug only happens if you have Unity
installed alongside the affected software eg Xfce. So a good way to spot
duplicates is to ask if the user also has Unity installed if they are
not using it.

Another thing is that those Gtk extensions should not be loaded at all
outside of Unity. There is a bug about that:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xfce4-indicator-
plugin/+bug/1307657

Finally, we don't have a metabug like this upstream at Xfce because
bugzilla is not good at handling those types of bugs, but we are aware
of the issue and there is a thread on the mailing list about it.
https://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce4-dev/2014-May/030715.html

The conclusion we reached is that even though this is ultimately caused
by Unity extensions, each application should be fixed to fork *before*
it calls Gtk init, because you never know what extra plugins might get
loaded and subsequently break.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to policykit-1 in Ubuntu.

  Several XFCE applications appear irresponsible after communicating
  with a daemon

Status in pixbuf library for gtk+:
  New
Status in One Hundred Papercuts:
  Triaged
Status in System policy:
  Confirmed
Status in Thunar file manager:
  Confirmed
Status in xfce4-appfinder:
  Confirmed
Status in Xfce4 Power Manager:
  Confirmed
Status in xfce4-settings:
  Fix Released
Status in Volume management daemon for XFCE 4:
  Invalid
Status in Volume management daemon for Xfce:
  Confirmed
Status in “gdk-pixbuf” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “policykit-1” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “thunar” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “xfce4-appfinder” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “xfce4-power-manager” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “xfce4-settings” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “xfce4-volumed” package in Ubuntu:

  Several programs in Xfce have a daemon mode call gtk_init() before
  fork()ing.

  This is unsafe, and when it goes wrong this will typically manifest as
  the daemon hanging shortly after forking, and appearing to simply do
  nothing at all.