** Branch linked: lp:~gunnarhj/ubuntu-seeds/ubuntu-
touch.utopic_lp1346766

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-touch-meta in

  Chinese in Ubuntu Touch should use Heiti style sans serif font

Status in “ubuntu-touch-meta” package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  Ubuntu Touch uses Kaiti style font as the main UI font for displaying
  Chinese, which is not optimal as nowadays operating systems all use
  Heiti style font for the UI, we should really change it asap.

  Currently there are two choices on Ubuntu, fonts-droid and wqy-
  microhei. Below I will list out the pros and cons.

  wqy-microhei (DroidSansFallbackFull.ttf, modified):
  - Pros:
    - The advantage of wqy-microhei being its wider codepoint coverage, for
example it also contains Japanese Kanas and Korean Hanguls in one font. The
downside is it may be of lower quality than the original
DroidSansFallbackFull.ttf due to its lack of maintenance in recent years.
  - Cons:
    - I am not too much in favour of using wqy-microhei, the reason being that
it is basically a font that based on the Droid font (DroidSansFallbackFull.ttf
to be exact).
    - Upstream has not updated wqy-microhei for long time, so it lacks any new
updates from the Droid font, although it may not be obvious to users.
    - Another possible disadvantage of wqy-microhei is it includes more latin
characters, which may result to inconsistent glyphs being used.

  fonts-droid (DroidSansFallbackFull.ttf, original):
  - Pros:
    - The advantage is it has coverage of CJK ext. A [1], which wqy-microhei
does not provide.
  -Cons:
   - On the other hand, wqy-microhei has added some glyphs that the droid font
does not provide, I don't have the exact number of that but I believe it's just
a small number.
   - The disadvantage is it does not include Korean Hangul, which can be
remedied with another Korean font, and it's not our current concern anyway.

  As an additional alternative, just a few days ago, Google released the
  Noto Sans CJK fonts [2][3]:

  fonts-noto (Noto Sans CJK fonts):
  - Pros:
    - It takes care of different writing standards of Traditional Chinese,
Simplified Chinese, Japanese and Korean, which makes everyone happy (see slide
13-14 of [3])
    - It covers Japanese and Korean as well
  - Cons:
    - Needs to be tested
    - Bigger size than the other alternatives as a result of catering for both
Traditional and Simplified Chinese
    - Not yet packaged [4]

  [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CJK_Unified_Ideographs_Extension_A
  [2]