Hi and thanks for reporting and working on this bug!

First thing to know is that different machines have different PCI SSIDs.
For information about this, look at the "PCI SSID" section of
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/SameHardware

If you have PCI SSID 1028:05fe or 1028:060a, the fix for the noise issue
is upstream. You can test the daily drivers by following the
instructions here:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/UpgradingAlsa/DKMS

The original poster has PCI SSID 1028:05e3. If you have another PCI
SSID, the first step is to post your alsa-info in this bug. See
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/AlsaInfo - that will give us more
information about your hardware, including your PCI SSID. You can also
file a new bug using the "ubuntu-bug audio" command and give a notice in
this bug with a link to a new bug.

Hopefully I or some other audio developer will have time to look at it -
but unfortunately I can't promise any quick response right now.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  [XPS 12-9Q33, Realtek ALC668, Black Headphone Out, Left] Background
  noise or low volume

Status in “alsa-driver” package in Ubuntu:

  When listening to sound on my laptop through headphones, there's a
  constant background hiss (which disappears only when all sound has
  been stopped for a few seconds. power saving I guess).

  I also need to turn the volume *way* down to 10% for the sound volume
  to be reasonable (it's way too loud otherwise).

  Package: alsa-base 1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu4
  ApportVersion: 2.12.5-0ubuntu2.1
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC1:  martijn    2130 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/pcmC1D0p:   martijn    2130 F...m pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  martijn    2130 F.... pulseaudio
  Date: Tue Nov 19 14:26:46 2013
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 13.10 "Saucy Salamander" - Release amd64
(20131016.1)
  MarkForUpload: True
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: alsa-driver
  Symptom: audio
  Symptom_AlsaPlaybackTest: ALSA playback test through plughw:PCH successful
  Symptom_Card: Intern geluid - HDA Intel PCH
  Symptom_Jack: Black Headphone Out, Left
  Symptom_PulsePlaybackTest: PulseAudio playback test successful
  Symptom_Type: High background noise, or volume is too low
  Title: [XPS 12-9Q33, Realtek ALC668, Black Headphone Out, Left] Background
noise or low volume
  dmi.bios.date: 09/24/2013
  dmi.bios.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.bios.version: A03
  dmi.board.name: XPS 12-9Q33
  dmi.board.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.board.version: A03
  dmi.chassis.type: 8
  dmi.chassis.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.chassis.version: Not Specified
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnDellInc.:bvrA03:bd09/24/2013:svnDellInc.:pnXPS12-9Q33:pvrA03:rvnDellInc.:rnXPS12-9Q33:rvrA03:cvnDellInc.:ct8:cvrNotSpecified:
  dmi.product.name: XPS 12-9Q33
  dmi.product.version: A03
  dmi.sys.vendor: Dell Inc.